Firefighters respond to weekend fires in two kitchens

By  | 

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (CBS19 NEWS) -- A weekend kitchen fire caused several thousand dollars worth of damage to a duplex in Charlottesville.

The Charlottesville Fire Department responded to the fire around 4:45 p.m. Sunday on North Berkshire Road.

Officials say the fire started due to cooking on the stove, and the residents attempted to put it out but when it got larger, they called 911.

The fire spread to the floor and cabinets around the stove, but it was contained to the kitchen.

One civilian was treated for injuries, but no firefighters were injured.

Residents told fire crews pets were still inside the building when they arrived. While one crew worked on putting out the fire, another searched for and removed a dog while a third found a hamster and got it out.

The animals were returned to their owners and appeared to be in good health.

The fire caused about $10,000 worth of damage and has displaced the residents will repairs are being made.

The Charlottesville Fire Department also responded to an appliance fire on Sunday morning.

This fire occurred in a dishwasher around 11:40 a.m. on Westview Road.

No one was home at the time of the fire, which was discovered by workers when they arrived for scheduled work.

This fire was contained to the dishwasher, cabinets and counter, and caused about $15,000 in damage.

No one was injured and no residents have been displaced.



 
CBS19NEWS.COM COMMENT GUIDELINES
The comments sections of CBS19News.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we only ask that you use your best judgment. CBS19News.com tracks IP addresses. Repeat violators may be banned from posting comments.
View Comment Guidelines
powered by Disqus