CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (CBS19 NEWS) -- A Charlottesville judge has ruled that the Virginia State Police and the Office of the Secretary of Public Safety have 30 days to turn over at least portions of the law enforcement plan for Aug. 12, 2017.
This is the second time that Judge Richard Moore has ruled that reporter Natalie Jacobsen is entitled to see part of the plan.
Jacobsen had requested the law enforcement plan in 2017 under the Freedom of Information Act, and Moore ruled last year that she was entitled to a redacted version. But at the same time as he issued that ruling, Moore granted a stay of that decision so the state could appeal.
On Wednesday, Moore lifted that stay and gave the state another 30 days to turn the plan over to Jacobsen. Moore ruled redactions are allowed for subject matter that could pose a threat to public or police safety.
Jacobsen, who will have the opportunity to challenge redactions in court, said she's pleased with the ruling.
"I think it's a big win for freedom of information,” Jacobsen said. “It has been determined that it is a right for the public to see it, and I hope that they comply with this 30-day ruling and that we see it."
Attorneys for the state declined to comment after the hearing.