Woman treated for smoke inhalation after house catches fire

By  | 

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (CBS19 NEWS) -- A woman is recovering from smoke inhalation after her home was burned in an electrical fire Tuesday morning.

The fire started around 3:30 a.m. at a home at the corner of Sixth Street SE and Druid Avenue. Multiple firefighters were on scene, working to contain the flames.

Fire investigators say the woman was the only person at the home when the fire started. She was able to get out before firefighters arrived, then she was taken to the hospital.

Fire crews say the home has significant damage, and they have notified the Red Cross to help the woman find a place to stay.

Investigators say the fire started because an extension cord was attached to a space heater, and it overheated.



 
CBS19NEWS.COM COMMENT GUIDELINES
The comments sections of CBS19News.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we only ask that you use your best judgment. CBS19News.com tracks IP addresses. Repeat violators may be banned from posting comments.
View Comment Guidelines
powered by Disqus