DURHAM, N.C. (AP) -- Angel Zarate scored the winning run on a hit batsman with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 10th inning, lifting North Carolina past Virginia 3-2 on Wednesday night in the Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship.
Aaron Sabato drew a one-out walk and reached second on a wild pitch before Zarate pinch-ran for him. An intentional walk to Danny Serretti and a walk to Ike Freeman loaded the bases before reliever Devin Ortiz struck pinch-hitter Caleb Roberts with an 0-1 pitch to score Zarate and spark a celebration by the fifth-seeded Tar Heels (39-17).
Joey Lancellotti (5-2) allowed four hits and struck out three in 2 2/3 innings for UNC. Andrew Abbott (2-3) took the loss for No. 9 seeded Virginia (32-23) in the low-scoring game.
North Carolina led 2-0 on Ike Freeman’s run-scoring in the fourth inning and Danny Serretti’s RBI double in the sixth. Virginia tied the game on Nate Eikhoff’s leadoff homer in the top of the seventh and Brendan Rivoli’s RBI single through the right side in the eighth that scored Tanner Morris from second.
WEDNESDAY GAME 3 NOTES
- Virginia faces a quick turnaround as it plays it second tournament game on Thursday at 3 p.m. against fourth-seeded Miami (38-17) … UNC will face the Hurricanes in Friday’s 3 p.m. game, with the winner advancing to Saturday’s semifinal … The Tar Heels took two of three from the visiting Hurricanes when the teams met in mid-March … Miami swept a three-game series at Virginia in mid-April.
- UNC and Virginia met in the ACC Baseball Championship for the first time since May 23, 2014, when the Cavaliers edged the Tar Heels, 3-2, in Greensboro, N.C.
- UNC has won at least one game in each of the last 11 ACC Baseball Championships in which it has participated.
- UNC improved to 12-4 in one-run games and 4-0 in extra innings.
-Virginia is 6-8 in one-run games this season and has played in 21 games decided by one or two runs … The Cavaliers are 1-1 in extra-inning games.
- Wednesday night marked the 300th time North Carolina and Virginia have met on the baseball field … UNC leads the series 186-110-4.
- UNC holds a 3-1 edge in games played this season after taking two of three from the Cavaliers at home in late April … All three of the Tar Heels’ wins have come by one run (a pair of 5-4 decisions during the regular season and Wednesday night’s 3-2 final).