CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (CBS19 NEWS) -- The Virginia State Police has released some more information regarding what happened on Nov. 13 at the University of Virginia.

The investigation into the deadly shooting on Grounds is ongoing, with officials now confirming that the suspect, 22-year-old Christopher Darnell Jones, Jr., was on the bus.

According to a release, Jones and other UVA students had gone to Washington, D.C. on Sunday to go to a theater performance at the Atlas Performing Arts Center.

After the performance, the students and a professor had dinner in D.C. and then they headed back to Charlottesville on a chartered bus.

As the students were preparing to disembark from the bus when it arrived at Culbreth Road, Jones produced a weapon and started firing.

Police say that as he got off the bus, he continued to fire his weapons and then ran away before getting into his Dodge Durango and driving off.

Jones was arrested Monday morning in Henrico County, and investigators are still working on determining his movements between the shooting at UVA and his arrest some 12 hours later.

At this point, VSP says it is not in a position to comment on Jones’ motives behind the shootings.

Police say 20-year-old Devin Chandler of Virginia Beach and 22-year-old D’Sean Perry of Miami both died at the scene on Culbreth Road.

The third football player, 20-year-old Lavel Davis, Jr. of Ridgeville, South Carolina, died at the UVA Medical Center of his injuries.

Two others, a 19-year-old from Baton Rouge, identified later as Mike Hollins, Jr., and a 19-year-old from Houston, Texas, identified later as Marlee Morgan, were taken to the hospital with life-threatening and non-life-threatening injuries respectively.

Hollins underwent emergency surgery on Sunday night and then had a second procedure on Tuesday morning. He is still in the hospital, where he is now in intermediate care and beginning his recovery journey. 

Morgan was treated for her injuries and released on Tuesday.

During the investigation, police found a handgun near the scene of the shooting, and no firearms were found on the bus itself.

In a search of Jones’ residence, officers seized a rifle and a handgun. 

All three weapons are currently being processed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The criminal investigation into the shooting is ongoing.

Jones is currently facing three counts of second-degree murder, two counts of malicious wounding, and five counts for the use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

He was denied bond on Wednesday and is being held at the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail.

On Thursday, Virginia Attorney General Jason Miyares announced the beginning of an independent, external review of the response to the events at UVA.