Top-10 Moments of 2022 in UVA Athletics
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (CBS19 SPORTS) -- As the calendar flips to 2023, CBS19 looks back at the top-10 moments in UVA athletics for 2022.
The year brought two NCAA championships, an individual NCAA championship, record-breaking performances and the start of an era for two new head coaches.
The entire University of Virginia community also dealt with tragedy with the shooting deaths of football players Devin Chandler, Lavel Davis Jr. and D'Sean Perry. The UVA athletics community rallied in the weeks after and will continue to grieve and heal in the year to come.
Healing will come off the field or court, but also on it through victory and championships just like the ones from 2022. CBS19 put together a list of the top-10 moments from the year along with input from a few others covering the Cavaliers.
10. First Win of the Tony Elliott Era
9. UVA Softball Upsets No. Virginia Tech
8. UVA Women's Soccer Pulls Off Dramatic Comeback to Take Down No. 2 UNC
7. Matt Moore Becomes Virginia Career Leader for Points
6. Claudio Romero Wins NCAA Discus Championship
5. Coach Mox Leads Cavaliers to Historic 12-0 Start
4. Ryan Zimmerman Day Draws Record-Breaking Crowd
3. Reece Beekman Hits Game-Winning Three to Win at No. 7 Duke
2. UVA Men's Tennis Wins NCAA Championship
1. Virginia Women's Swimming and Diving Claims Back-to-Back NCAA Titles