Scottsville salon experiences electrical fire
SCOTTSVILLE, Va. (CBS19 NEWS) -- A Scottsville salon's week was cut short by an electrical fire Friday morning.
"There was some smoke pouring out, but there was also an active flame," said Teri Butler, a nearby business owner.
Just before 10 a.m. Friday, Butler was returning to work after getting coffee when she noticed a small fire in the front part of Evolve Hair Design in Scottsville. She and Devante Rush, an owner of a different shop, quickly acted at the salon next door that hadn't opened yet.
"Teri, she was the first to get a fire extinguisher. She said don't pour water on it. It's an electrical issue so, you know, that could have been very bad if you did that," said Rush.
About eight minutes after receiving a call, the Scottsville Fire Department arrived. The fire was put out ten minutes later around 10:15 a.m. The building's owner, Larry Barnett, is thankful.
"The fire department was fantastic and they responded so quickly," he said.
Reuben Cowles, the assistant fire marshal for the Albemarle County Department of Fire Rescue, said what was determined to be an electrical fire didn't cause much harm to the building.
"There was some damage to the interior wall and some electrical wiring, but that's about it," he said.
According to Barnett, because it was able to be put out quickly, the residents in the apartments upstairs were able to go back inside and the surrounding businesses were able to resume work. But he says Evolve will take some time to recuperate.
"We are just delighted that no one was hurt and all the shops except Evolve can reopen, and the apartments, they've cleared the smoke out and they are good to go," said Barnett.
ACFR continues to remind everyone to make sure they have working smoke alarms in their homes and businesses.