Gordonsville neighborhood blaming water contamination for illnesses
GORDONSVILLE, VA. (CBS19 NEWS) -- Nearly a week after the Shenandoah Crossing Country Club neighborhood had its water supply cut off due to contamination, two people say they were hospitalized after drinking the water.
One person went to the emergency room, another had to have emergency surgery, and another said his whole family felt ill. All live at Shenandoah Crossing.
"But it is just kind of weird what is happening in Shenandoah Crossing and then all of sudden, the past month, I’ve been sick," resident Todd Myers said.
Myers had an emergency appendectomy, a procedure he thinks might be the result of something in the water where he lives.
Last week on Wednesday, Shenandoah Crossing residents received a notice that their water supply had been contaminated by a cross connection of a household sewer line and an active water line.
Three days later on Sunday, they got word that most lots had water that was safe to use again. Since then, several people have been sick, including Myers, who says he became ill Sunday night.
"It could be caused by bacteria. Again, I can't remember half of what they said, but I do know it was caused by a bacterial infection," Myers said.
Myers isn't alone. Linda Seidel has also been to the hospital, suffering from severe abdominal pain and nausea Monday night.
Her doctors also saw signs of a bacterial infection.
"She explained it could be giardia, it could be E. coli, it could be coliform, it could be any of the bacterial things given we had the evidence of exposure from the notifications we received," Seidel said.
Even though they have been told their water is safe and that it has tested negative for E. coli and coliform, residents say they do not fully trust it and are still looking for answers.
One resident, Mr. Jones, says that neighbors are now considering taking legal action, with more people coincidentally getting sick in his neighborhood.
"You wouldn't think in this nice neighborhood that things like this happen. We just want answers as a community. I shouldn't have my wife and kids get sick just from the water that we drink," Jones said.
"We have two kids, grandkids that come and visit, family that comes to visit, that's the last thing I need to worry about saying, "Hey, don't drink the water,'" Myers said.
As of 4 p.m. Wednesday, the "do not use" advisory has been lifted.
The general manager of the Shenandoah Resort community, which is responsible for utility licensing and management in the community, did not respond to a request for comment.