CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (CBS19 NEWS) -- It’s time to file taxes for those who make under $64,000 a year. Madison House is helping to ease the stress of tax season with free services.

“Madison House has a program CASH. It’s the largest program at Madison House. CASH stands for Creating Assets Savings and Hope,” says UVA student Manish Dahal.

Through this program people who make under $64,000 a year can have their taxes filed for free by one of 200 trained student volunteers. 

“We’re doing about 1,500. That’s our goal this semester,” says Dahal, who is finally able to put everything he’s learned over the past four years to work.

“You know, doing CASH, I didn’t know a thing about my taxes but this past year I filed my own taxes and also been able to help my own family and my friends kind of understand what taxes are and how to file them,” he said.

They offer services in Spanish, Dari, Farsi, and Urdu.

The programs manager, Martha Trujillo, said English isn’t her first language, so she knows firsthand how hard this process can be.

“It’s important that when you do taxes you understand how it works in your own language," she said. "Especially because we have the IRC here in Charlottesville. There are a lot of refugees. We want to be sure that they’re doing the right thing when they file taxes.”

Dahal says it’s a way for him to connect with Greater Charlottesville people and make a difference.

“Second year, I worked with a family of six and I helped them save $16,000 and I was like, ‘Oh my gosh.' That really put a passion in me to continue with CASH and just seeing the overall impact was definitely amazing,” he says.

These services are available for anyone in the Greater Charlottesville area.

Here is the list of what people need to bring to their appointment:
  • A completed VITA intake form
  • Government issued photo ID for taxpayer and spouse (if filing jointly both must be present)
  • Valid Social Security or ITIN cards and birthdates for anyone on the return
  • All wage and income statements for filing year (W-2s, 1099s, etc.)
  • Proof of child care expenses paid, including: provider's name, address and federal ID number
  • Form 1095-A if you obtained insurance through The Marketplace
  • All other supporting documents (tuition statements, student loan interest, interest income, Social Security statements, etc...)
  • Voided check or routing and account number for direct deposit of refunds