CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (CBS19 NEWS) -- The Charlottesville Fire Department says a clogged dryer vent caused a house fire on St. Clair Avenue on Thursday morning.

The fire occurred on the 1000 block of St. Clair Avenue and caused minor damage to the home.

No injuries were reported and no one was displaced, which the fire department says is due to the early detection of and quick response to the fire.

The dryer vent extended through the first sub-floor and into a crawl space.

Fire crews that responded found smoke in the crawl space, the first floor and the attic of the structure.

While there is significant damage to the storage area under the house and to the walls around the dryer vent, the extent of the damage is limited.

The homeowner reported smelling smoke shortly at 9 a.m. Thursday just as her smoke detectors started to go off. She called for help, and the first fire crew arrived around five minutes later.

The U.S. Fire Administration says there are about 2,900 home clothes dryer fires reported each year, and a third of those are caused by failing to clean the dryer vent. These kinds of fires cause an estimated five deaths, 100 injuries and $35 million in property loss annually.