Apartment fire sparked by lithium-ion battery pack malfunction
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (CBS19 NEWS) -- A fire that damaged an apartment on Madison Avenue on Monday was caused by a battery malfunction.
The Charlottesville Fire Department responded to the fire at the Oxford Hill Apartments around 1:45 p.m.
According to a release, the fire was contained to a single bedroom within the complex and was quickly put out by firefighters.
The Fire Marshal’s Office has determined that the accidental fire was caused by a malfunction of a lithium-ion battery pack.
These kinds of batteries are found in many devices, such as cell phones and laptops, and they can catch fire or explode if damaged or not used correctly.
Users are encouraged to always follow a manufacturer’s recommendations for using and charging lithium-ion batteries.
Officials say if a person suspects a battery pack is damaged in any way, do not use it and contact the manufacturer for instructions.
For more information on fire safety and prevention, click here.